This Vegan Queso recipe is so simple and easy to make. This recipe is oil-free giving you a perfect whole-food plant-based queso option. It’s a delicious appetizer that will have you dipping and craving more. Perfect for parties, gatherings, holiday events, and just “because”.Jump to Recipe
Mexican food is my absolute favorite food. So when I transitioned to a whole food plant-based diet I was in need of some new go-to recipes.
While you can dip just about anything that you want in here, tortilla chips are always a good choice. But don’t forget about the veggies as well.
I also like to add this to tacos, on top of my salads, or add a bit to a Vegan Quesadilla. This is a versatile recipe that can be customized to your spice liking!
Ingredients for this Vegan Queso recipe
It seems like a lot of ingredients but this recipe comes together rather quickly. Gather up the simple ingredients below to get started.
- Miso Paste
- Pickled Jalapenos + Juice
- Pickle + Juice
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Nutritional Yeast
How to make this vegan queso sauce
This recipe comes together so quickly. Check out the recipe card below for the step by step directions and exact measurements of ingredients. Here’s how to make this queso:
What is vegan queso made of?
While recipes can vary, you’re typically going to have some sort of nut and spices to create the perfect flavor and taste. This version is made with a potato and carrot base. The cashews add a bit of creaminess while the pickle and jalapeno add some salt and spice.
What does vegan queso taste like?
It actually really tastes like queso dip. The consistency is thick and creamy like traditional queso. You can increase the spiciness by adding in more jalapenos.
Is guacamole vegan?
Just in case you want to whip up some guacamole as a dipper as well, rest easy knowing that it’s vegan, too!
Who says you only have to pick one recipe to dip into when you can easily have both?!
Don’t forget to add this vegan queso dip to your salads as well! I little drizzle can really go a long way.
If you make this recipe please let me know in the comments below. Don’t forget to rate this recipe. Follow me for daily vegan recipes on TikTok, YouTube, and Instagram. Receive recipes right in your inbox by signing up for my free recipe newsletter here.
Vegan Queso Recipe
- 1 High speed blender I use a Vitamix
- 2 medium carrots about 3/4 cup carrots chopped
- 2 medium potato about 1 cup potatoes chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup cashews soaked for 6 hours* see notes
- 1 medium pickle
- 2 tbsp pickled jalapenos
- 1 tbsp pickle juice
- 1 tbsp pickled jalapeno juice
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk
- 1 tsp miso paste
- 1/2 medium juice of lime
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp salt may add less or more. to taste after blending
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 tsp cumin
- Chop the potatoes and carrots. Add the potatoes, carrots, and garlic to a saucepan with water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Allow to boil for about 10 minutes or until soft.2 medium carrots, 2 medium potato, 1 clove garlic
- Add the pickle, jalapenos, pickle juice, jalapeno juice, juice of a lime, miso, garlic powder, onion powder, and nutritional yeast to your blender. Blend until smooth.1 medium pickle, 2 tbsp pickled jalapenos, 1 tbsp pickle juice, 1 tbsp pickled jalapeno juice, 1 tsp miso paste, 1/2 medium juice of lime, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/3 cup nutritional yeast, 1 tsp cumin
- Once the potatoes, carrots, and garlic are soft, drain them from the water. Add them to the blender. Add the cashews and plant milk. Blend until nice and smooth.2 medium carrots, 2 medium potato, 1 clove garlic, 1/2 cup cashews, 1/2 cup plant-based milk
- Season the cheese sauce with salt and pepper to taste. Blend to incorporate.1/4 tsp pepper, 1 tsp salt
- Add the salsa to the cheese sauce. Pulse to incorporate. You will still want some chunks of the salsa noticeable in the queso sauce.1/2 cup salsa
Did You Make This Recipe?
Share it with me on @Instagram and follow on Pinterest and Facebook for more!
Leave A Reply!