This Creamy Vegan Dumpling Soup is easy to make and so comforting. Filled with veggies, a creamy soup base, and delicious pillowy dumplings. Made with common pantry staples and ready to enjoy in just 30-minutes. This is a perfect comforting weeknight dinner.Jump to Recipe
This soup screams comfort food and is a perfect cold weather soup that will warm you up. This is my take on chicken and dumplings but fully vegan.
This soup is so easy to make. I used my dutch oven to make this and can easily be made in your slow cooker or instant pot.
I like to make this recipe when I need to clean out the veggie drawer of my fridge and is easily customizable by using your favorite veggies. If you need an easy soup recipe that will fill a crowd this is the soup you’ll want to make!
Table of contents
Ingredients to make this vegan dumpling soup
The ingredient list might seem long but it’s really easy to put together. Here’s everything you’ll need to make this soup:
- Bell pepper
- Potatoes – I used small creamer potatoes because they cook quicker however, you can use russet potatoes if that’s what you have on hand.
- Baking powder
- Coconut milk
- Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- Veggie stock
How do you make vegan dumpling soup?
To make soup follow the step-by-step instructions below. Be sure to check out the recipe card below for the full recipe and extra tips and tricks. Here’s how to make this vegan dumpling soup:
- Cut up the veggies. Add the onion, garlic, bell pepper, and carrots to your pot. Cook with a small amount of veggie broth to prevent sticking.
- Once the onions are translucent and carrots are soft, add the potatoes and seasonings.
- Add in the veggie broth. Reserve 1 cup. Bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, make the rue by melting the butter and stirring the flour in a saucepan. Stir until combined.
- Add in 1 cup of the coconut milk and the reserved broth. Stir until well combined and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Add the rue to the soup. Bring to a boil.
- It’s time to make the dumplings. Add the flour, baking powder, salt, and Italian seasoning to a bowl. Stir to combine.
- Cut in the butter until the flour mixture resembles crumbs.
- Add in 1 cup of coconut milk. Fold in until well combined.
- Spoon out a small amount of dumpling mixture over the soup.
- Cover and allow to cook for 8 minutes.
Storage and reheating
To store the soup, add it to an air-tight container. Add it to the fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat the soup, you can warm it up in the microwave or over the stovetop.
Be sure to use a microwave-safe container if you’re reheating it in the microwave. Add the soup to the saucepan to reheat it over the stovetop.
Yes! Add all of the ingredients to the crockpot except for the rue and dumplings. You’ll want to prepare the dumplings about an hour before serving. Create the rue as instructed and stir it in.
I haven’t tried to make this gluten-free. Instead of making a rue, you’ll want to use cornstarch. As for the dumplings you can substitute the ap flour with gluten-free flour.
Yes! Use as many different vegetables as you’d like. Just make sure there’s still room for the dumplings. Veggies you could add are peas, corn, celery, or leeks. I don’t recommend using broccoli as it can become overcooked.
Other comfy vegan recipes
If you make this recipe please let me know in the comments below. Don’t forget to rate this recipe. Follow me for daily vegan recipes on TikTok, YouTube, and Instagram. Receive recipes right in your inbox by signing up for my free recipe newsletter here.
Vegan Dumpling Soup
- 1 medium onion
- 2 medium carrot
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper
- 2 cups potatoes chopped
- 9 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- In a large pot add in the chopped medium onion, carrot, garlic, and bell pepper. Cook over medium-high heat until the onions become translucent. Add in a small amount of veggie broth to prevent the veggies from sticking.1 medium onion, 2 medium carrot, 3 cloves garlic, 1 medium yellow bell pepper
- Once the onion is translucent and the carrots are soft, add in the chopped potatoes, salt and pepper, and the Italian seasoning.2 cups potatoes, 1 tbsp Italian seasoning, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper
- Add the rest minus 1 cup of vegetable broth to the soup. Allow it to come to a boil.9 cups vegetable broth
- In a saucepan add1/4 butter and 1/4 cup of flour. Stir until it forms a paste. Add in the reserved vegetable broth and 1 cup of the canned coconut milk.Add the mixture to the soup and allow the soup to come to a boil.1/4 cup flour, 1/4 cup vegan butter, 1 can coconut milk
Making the dumplings
- Meanwhile, to a bowl add the dry ingredients – flour, baking powder, Italian seasoning, and salt. Stir to combine.1 tsp baking powder, 1 cup flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- Cut in the butter to the flour mixture until it resembles crumbs.Add the reserved 1 cup of coconut milk. Stir to combine.1/4 cup vegan butter
- Spoon in dumplings into the creamy soup. Cover and allow to cook for 10 minutes.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Share it with me on @Instagram and follow on Pinterest and Facebook for more!
Leave A Reply!