This Vegan Potato Leek Soup is the ultimate comfort food in a bowl. This soup is thick, creamy, full of flavor and so easy to make. Made with potatoes, leeks, onions, and a thick and creamy veggie broth it feeds a crowd that everyone will love.Jump to Recipe
Soups are a staple in our home and I don’t know what’s more comforting than a warm bowl of soup. Living in the Pacific Northwest the fall and winters are long, dark, and cold enjoying a warm bowl of soup makes those days so much better.
Ingredients to make vegan potato leek soup
This soup is made with common pantry staples. Here’s everything you’ll need to make this vegan potato leek soup:
- Veggie broth – you can use water and vegetable bouillion if that’s what you have on hand.
- Onion – yellow onions work best.
- Shallot – you can sub for a small red onion or half of a medium onion.
- Potatoes – for this recipe I used russet but other varieties will work well too.
- Vegan butter
- All-purpose flour – you can sub cornstarch if gluten-free see notes for directions.
- Salt and pepper
- Vegan cheese – this is optional but really adds extra flavor.
How to make vegan potato leek soup
To make this vegan potato soup follow the steps below. Be sure to check out the recipe card below for more detailed instructions. Here’s how to make this soup:
- Cut: Finally cut the leek, shallot, onion, and garlic. Add to a pot over medium heat.
- Saute: Saute the onion and garlic mixture with a small amount of veggie broth. Just enough to keep the onion from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Add: Add in the chopped-up potatoes and the veggie broth. Reserve 1 cup of the veggie broth for later.
- Rue: In a small saucepan melt the vegan butter. Once melted, whisk in the all-purpose flour creating a thick paste. This is a rue.
- Add: Add the reserved veggie broth to the butter-flour mixture. Whisk the mixture and allow to just start to boil. This will thicken the mixture.
- Combine: Combine the rue mixture with the soup. Stir to fully combine. Stir in the vegan cheese, if using.
- Boil: Allow the soup to boil for about 5 minutes. This will allow the soup to thicken.
I love to serve this soup with bread and salad. It’s comforting and filling on its own but even better with a breadstick.
If your soup comes out gluey that might mean that you’ve overcooked and mashed your potatoes. Potatoes that are mashed too much will leach out a gelatinized starch into the broth. To avoid this, don’t add mashed potatoes to the soup and try to avoid overcooking your diced potatoes.
This soup stores well in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
You sure can! Add the soup to a freezer-safe container and store it in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Yes! Leaving the skins on the potatoes will save you time and add extra fiber and nutrients to the soup.
If your soup does not come out creamy that might mean that you cooked the soup on too high of a heat and the ingredients separated in the cooking process. Another reason could be you used a floury potato instead of a waxy potato. I recommend using russet, red, or Yukon potatoes for this recipe.
Other comfy vegan recipes:
If you make this recipe please let me know in the comments below. Don’t forget to rate this recipe. Follow me for daily vegan recipes on TikTok, YouTube, and Instagram. Receive recipes right in your inbox by signing up for my free recipe newsletter here.
Vegan Potato Leek Soup
- 1 medium leek chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 small shallot chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 6 medium potatoes chopped
- 9 cups veggie broth sub veggie bouillon 1 cup reserved
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper 1/2 tsp more to taste
- 1 cup vegan cheese optional
- Cut the leek, onion, shallot, garlic, and potatoes.
- Add the leek, onion, shallot, and garlic to a pot over medium heat.1 medium leek, 1 medium onion, 1 small shallot, 2 cloves garlic
- Add in a small amount of veggie broth while sauteing to release the onion mixture from the bottom of the pot.
- Season with salt and pepper1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper
- Add the potatoes and veggie broth to the onion mixture. Reserve 1 cup of the veggie broth for later. Bring soup to a boil.6 medium potatoes, 9 cups veggie broth
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small saucepan. Once the butter has melted, add the all-purpose flour. Whisk until it forms a paste.1/4 cup vegan butter, 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Slowly add the reserved veggie broth to the butter and flour mixture. Whisk until it comes together. Allow to start to bubble, this will allow the rue to thicken.
- Add the rue to the soup. Stir to fully combine. Add in the vegan cheese (if using). Allow the soup to come to a boil again. Cook for about 5 minutes.1 cup vegan cheese