These easy to make homemade Vegan Bread Sticks go perfectly with soups, salads, pastas, and stews. They’re soft, buttery, and oh so comforting. All you need are six common vegan pantry staples to make these Homemade Vegan Breadsticks.Jump to Recipe
I got my love for baking from my mother. Growing up, she baked all of our bread and cookies from scratch. It was awesome coming home from school because our home always smelled like a bakery!
She taught me everything I know about baking and when I went vegan I had to relearn how to bake! This vegan breadstick recipe is one I use all of the time. It’s so easy to make and start the dough in the morning and about 45 minutes before dinner time I roll them out and get them in the oven.
Now you don’t need to wait as long as I do to make them, but you will need to allow the dough to rise. I promise you these breadsticks are worth the wait!
Ingredients to make vegan bread sticks
This recipe comes together so quickly! All you need are 6 common pantry staples. Here’s everything you’ll need to make these delicious vegan breadsticks:
- All-purpose flour
- Oatmilk – any plain and unsweetened plant-based milk will work here.
- Vegan butter
How to make vegan bread sticks
To make these easy and delicious breadsticks you’ll need to follow these steps (to see the full recipe and steps, check out the recipe card below):
- Heat the butter, sugar, and oat milk: in a saucepan until the temperature reaches about 110 degrees F. You do not want to over heat the liquid mixture or it will burn the yeast.
- Combine the flour, salt, and yeast: in a large bowl. Use a whisk to fully combine.
- Add the liquid mixture: Combine the liquid mixture with the flour mixture. The dough will be very wet.
- Knead: Knead in the remaining flour.
- Rise: Allow the dough to rise until it doubles in size.
- Separate: Roll the dough into breadstick shapes. Allow to rest for 15 minutes.
- Bake: Bake at 375 degrees for 18 minutes or until golden brown.
Some breadsticks are vegan but not all are. This recipe is vegan! It’s always important to read the ingredients to make sure what you’re eating is vegan.
These breadsticks will go with almost any soup, salad, or entre! You can serve these with some marinara, vegan queso (it’s so good!), oil and balsamic glaze, or your favorite dipping sauce.
Good news, Olive Garden breadsticks are vegan! You can enjoy them alongside a few vegan dishes at Olive Garden.
Oh yes! They taste great with a small brushing of oil and garlic on top. For best results, brush them with the mixture right out of the oven.
Store these in an air-tight container for up to 3 days on the counter or in the fridge. You can also freeze them for up to 3 months in a freezer bag or freezer-safe container. To reheat, allow to thaw at room temp for an hour and then reheat in the oven.
Other comfy vegan recipes
If you make this recipe please let me know in the comments below. Don’t forget to rate this recipe. Follow me for daily vegan recipes on TikTok, YouTube, and Instagram. Receive recipes right in your inbox by signing up for my free recipe newsletter here.
Vegan Bread Sticks
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1 tbsp yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup oat milk
- 3 1/2 cup all-purpose flour Give or take 1/2 cup.
- 1 tbsp sugar
- In a saucepan heat the sugar, oat milk, and vegan butter until the butter just starts to melt. About 110 degrees F. Do not over-heat the milk mixture as it will burn the yeast.1/4 cup vegan butter, 1 1/2 cup oat milk, 1 tbsp sugar
- In a large bowl combine 2 cups of the all-purpose flour, yeast, and salt with a whisk.1 tbsp yeast, 1 tsp salt, 3 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture. Stir to combine. The mixture will be very wet.
- Gradually knead the rest of the flour on a lightly floured surface. You may not need to use the full amount of flour or you might use more. See notes.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl, and cover. Allow the dough to rise for about 1 1/2 hours or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Once the dough has risen, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and break them up into 16 pieces. Shape the dough into breadsticks. Place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet.Allow the breadsticks to sit for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Bake the breadsticks for 18 minutes or until golden brown on top.