These Vegan Portobello Fajitas is a quick and easy dinner recipe that’s ready to enjoy in just 30 minutes. The portobello mushrooms are an excellent meat substitute for even non-vegans! Serve with some of your favorite salsa and vegan queso, and don’t forget the guacamole!Jump to Recipe
Mexican food is one of my favorites and I’m surprised I have more cookie recipes on my blog than I do Mexican food recipes! We eat Mexican food at least once a week for dinner and then I eat it three times a week for lunch.
I will whip up a batch of my favorite vegan queso and use that all week. These Portobello Fajitas are so delicious and are a great way to incorporate more mushrooms into your diet.
Table of contents
Ingredients to make Vegan Portobello Fajitas
This recipe is so simple to make and don’t forget to check out the recipe card below to see the full ingredient list and instructions to make these tasty fajitas!
- Portobello mushrooms
- Red bell pepper
- Yellow bell pepper
- Green bell pepper
- Red onion
- Olive oil – you can sub veggie broth if you are oil free!
- Chili flakes
- Cayenne pepper
- Garlic powder
- Smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper
How to Make Vegan Portobello Fajitas
To make these vegan portobello fajitas pull out your saute pan, cutting board, and knife! Here’s how to make these simple fajitas:
Make these portobello fajitas your own by replacing or adding a few simple ingredients. Here are some of my favorite customizations:
- Black beans
- Any color bell peppers you have on hand
- Any onion you have on hand. Red onions are a bit sweeter but if you have a lot of yellow onions on hand, use them!
These fajitas are filling on their own however, you can always stretch them out by serving up a side or two! I love to serve side dishes with this recipe:
- Spanish rice
- Vegan unfried beans
- Corn salsa
- Cowboy caviar
- Chips and guacamole
Other comfy vegan recipes
If you make this recipe please let me know in the comments below. Don’t forget to rate this recipe. Follow me for daily vegan recipes on TikTok, YouTube, and Instagram. Receive recipes right in your inbox by signing up for my free recipe newsletter here.
Vegan Portobello Fajitas
- 1 lb portobello mushrooms
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 2 medium red onion
- 2 tbsp olive oil (sub veggie broth if oil free)
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- First, chop your veggies. Chop bell peppers and red onion into strips, and portobellos into slices.1 lb portobello mushrooms, 1 medium red bell pepper, 1 medium yellow bell pepper, 1 medium green bell pepper, 2 medium red onion
- Mix all the spices for the fajitas seasoning in a small bowl. Set the spice mixture aside.1/2 tsp chili flakes, 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp smoked paprika, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Heat a large skillet, add olive oil (or veggie broth if oil-free), then add the chopped bell peppers. Stir until the bell peppers begin to soften.1 medium yellow bell pepper, 1 medium green bell pepper, 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 medium red bell pepper
- Next, add the red onion and stir until almost translucent.2 medium red onion
- Next, fold in the sliced mushrooms and cook until soft and tender.1 lb portobello mushrooms
- Once the mushrooms are soft and tender, add in the spice mixture. Stir until well combined.
- Serve with warmed tortillas, fresh avocado, lime juice, and chopped cilantro.